the Voiceless in our Community
We not only save them,
(placing 500 in homes each year)
We prevent the suffering
Other ways you can help
|Items were are in desperate need of...||Shop on Amazon using Amazon Smile|
|...can be purchased by clicking on the Wishlist button||Please select Sonora Cat Rescue as your charity and then bookmark it.|
Blinky is losing his eye-sight
Hi, My name is Blinky and I have cataracts.
If they aren't removed soon,
I will become completely blind.
If I have them removed, I can run and play
with all my friends and live a happy, normal life.
Please help by donating now to the Blinky Fund.
Click below to make a donation
Any amount will help.
kittens / cats
Cat Facts That You Might Not Know
- Cats are becoming pregnant at 4 months sometimes earlier.
- Kittens can and should be fixed at 8 weeks and 2 lbs.
- Cats are having 3 or 4 litters per year now instead of 1 or 2.
- One cat and her breeding partner can be responsible for hundreds of kittens in just a few years.
- You will never adopt your way out of the cat overpopulation problem. Spay/Neuter will equalize the number of cats to the number of available homes.
- One possible cause of this recent change is the amount of estrogen that humans have introduced into the environment.
- There are never going to be enough homes for all these kittens. Most die of starvation, abuse by humans or killed by wild animals.
- Cats are domestic animals. If they appear “feral” it is because they are terrified of humans. Most “feral” cats are cats that have been abandoned by some jerk.
- California Civil Code 597 states that it is against the law to abandon a cat, abuse a cat, kill a cat or deprive a cat of food and shelter.
Meet our Vic
Vic, shortly after his operation, with the two bullets that were surgically removed from his head.
The third bullet and fragments that remain lodged in his head, were deemed inoperable.
After expensive medical treatment and months of recuperation, today, a much loved Vic hugging his Babar.
Vic’s two brothers weren’t as lucky. They didn’t live to experience
a warm loving home. They were shot and killed at the same time Vic was attacked.
It is a crime to wound, maim or kill a cat punishable with a $20,000 and 1 year in state prison. (California civil code 597)
We include Vic as an example of the hundreds of cases of animal cruelty we see every year.
#597 Cruelty to Animals
"Except as provided in subdivision (c) of this section or Section 599c, every person who maliciously and intentionally maims, mutilates, tortures, or wounds a living animal, or maliciously and intentionally kills an animal," "and whoever, having the charge or custody of any animal, either as owner or otherwise, subjects any animal to needless suffering, or inflicts unnecessary cruelty upon the animal, or in any manner abuses any animal, or fails to provide the animal with proper food, drink, or shelter or protection from the weather, or who drives, rides, or otherwise uses the animal when unfit for labor, is, for each offense, guilty of a crime" "punishable as a felony by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170, or by a fine of not more than twenty thousand dollars ($20,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment, or alternatively, as a misdemeanor by imprisonment in a county jail for not more than one year, or by a fine of not more than twenty thousand dollars ($20,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment."
- WOUNDING OR KILLING AN ANIMAL = PRISON AND A LARGE FINE
- HURTING AN ANIMAL = PRISON AND A LARGE FINE
- DEPRIVING AN ANIMAL OF FOOD AND SHELTER = PRISON AND A LARGE FINE
- ABANDONING AN ANIMAL = PRISON AND A LARGE FINE
THE F.B.I. IS BUILDING AN ACTIVE DATABASE ON ANIMAL ABUSERS IN ALL 50 STATES
Link to California Penal Code Sections 594-625c